2023 East South ride location discussion

Started by Philmor, Nov 15, 2022, 11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philmor

Hey East South Far Roaders or is it iRoaders?
It is mid November and all the LDMs (Long Distance Meets) in the old Far Rider calendar have been run and dusted (or flooded).
Discussion on the forum seems to have been quiet of recent weeks.
Rather than start an oil or tyres thread, I think it a good time to activate discussion on 2023 ride locations for the East South region.

I am definitely not a ride co-ordinator, just an ordinary forum member starting some discussion. I am hopeful the likes of Reader 57, Kimmie, Hackle and/or others will continue/take on those roles for the East South ride region.

So here are some suggestions .....
  • Bermagui, NSW - Beach Hotel
  • Hay, NSW - Riverina Hotel (another option could be Ouyen, Vic - Victoria Hotel)
  • Molong, NSW - Telegraph Hotel (or another small-ish NSW town impacted by the 2022 floods)
  • Rochester, Vic  - Rochester Hotel (or another small-ish Vic town impacted by 2022 floods)

I am sure better options will be put forward.
Phillip M (aka Philmor)
Korumburra Vic
Far Road #770
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Biggles

Grey Gentry

Thanks for starting the discussion Phil.  All perfectly good suggested locations.
The Victoria Hotel Ouyen, is used by the local Ulysses Club once a year for an overnighter. Good food, with plenty of room for people to eat (and stay if so desired).

Yes, we need to fill the ride calendar for all regions. Maybe better not to have other rides on the same dates perhaps?  It gives riders an opportunity to do a tour.
Those who want the test, want to see over the horizon...achieve the goal or fail are in the end the only players who have credibility. - C. Snooks

GTR-AUS 20
FarRider #179
IBA #37681
  •  

Philmor

I agree Ron about date clashes, especially with the E/N, E/S & Centre and I think it should be possible for a ride co-ordinator to reserve a date that allows for a local ride the needs to happen on a specific date.

Things like school holidays, public holidays (which can vary from state to state) and Easter also need to be taken into account.
I prefer to avoid riding longer distances during those days/weeks.
Phillip M (aka Philmor)
Korumburra Vic
Far Road #770
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Taffey

Taffey

Hi All

South Australian Coordinator here; at least I think I am. Anyhow, how do the following locations sound to folk? I am thinking two to three of the four would end up in the final national mix.

Robe - hot/warm - SE Australia
Streaky Bay - warm - Centre
Lyndhurst - winter - Centre
Burra - cold/warm - SE Australia

Of course, Border Run will run regardless.

Taffy

PS The warm/cold is an inference to the potential time of year that would suit better (as distinct from best) for that location.

PPS Some suggested dates

Robe - hot/warm - 18 March 2023 (no events)
Streaky Bay - warm - 28 October - 2023 (no events)
Lyndhurst - winter - 1 July 2023 (no events)
Burra - cold/warm - 26 August 2023 (no events)
Taffey
Farrider 827 and IBA 70503
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Walshy

Grey Gentry

Good to see you making a start on the rides Taffy.

While all of the locations are good choices, there are many more.

I do have a question about the number needed in SA, as perhaps rides in Vic and NSW would fill in the calendar.

The dates July 1 and August 26 are probably too close, considering the Border Run on Sat 5th. Three rides across 2 months might be asking a bit much.  There would be some that would choose the BR, before the other two.

Just my thoughts. 

Edit:  I've forgotten the annual memorial ride to Wilmington, which is on the second Saturday in September.  That needs to be factored in to the calender.
Those who want the test, want to see over the horizon...achieve the goal or fail are in the end the only players who have credibility. - C. Snooks

GTR-AUS 20
FarRider #179
IBA #37681
  •  

Kimmie

Happy New Year Everyone.

Taffey & Philmor/Hackle,

All those destination suggestions seem fine to me and I'm sure once Hackle the E/S iRode coordinator is back on the keyboard after his xmas break will nut out the calendar and post it up.

@Grey Gentry - Taffy has stated that probably ONLY 2 or 3 of the SA suggestions will probably make the National Ride List.

I'm assuming that all these will be put into a calendar along with the usual "Annual Events" ie Border Run etc to see whether there are any date clashes and spacing overlaps.

My 2 cents though, if someone cannot make one of the " Annual Events" they could still have the option of doing an iRode if one was available...just sayin'
FR#441   IBA#45872

Taffey

Hiya team

Thinking I will go with Robe in March 18 and Streaky Bay Bay 28 October.

Unless there are objections or subsequent clashes, can this be loaded into the calendar please?

Taff
Taffey
  •  

Grey Gentry

Good call Taffy.  Sounds good to me.

GTR-AUS 20
FarRider #179
IBA #37681
  •  

Taffey

Quote from: Taffey on Jan 15, 2023, 09:01 AMHiya team

Thinking I will go with Robe in March 18 and Streaky Bay Bay 28 October.

Unless there are objections or subsequent clashes, can this be loaded into the calendar please?

Taff

Heading down to Robe on Feb 10 or 11th to find a suitable venue.

Cheers
Taff
Taffey
  •  

Grey Gentry

There was a Breakfast Ride to Robe in Feb 2009.  I can't remember where we indulged. I think Phil, (Or was it Mick?) was the planner. I'll give him a call, if he doesn't pop in shortly.

GTR-AUS 20
FarRider #179
IBA #37681
  •  

kwaka

From my RR of that Robe RTE, I've noted: "31 Jan 2009 - The first RTE."

Location in Robe: "Not long after 09:00hrs we head for the Wild Mulberry cafe for a well deserved brunch."

On the return home: "Very hot now but the next stop at Wanbi Hotel was a scorcher! 45℃ in the shade."

Quote from: Grey Gentry on Jan 16, 2023, 12:18 AMThere was a Breakfast Ride to Robe in Feb 2009.  I can't remember where we indulged. I think Phil, (Or was it Mick?) was the planner. I'll give him a call, if he doesn't pop in shortly.

Spell and punctuate Far Road any way you like, just don't call me late for lunch!

GTR-AUS 241 - FarRider 43 - IBA 38566 - Far Road 2043
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Grey Gentry

Grey Gentry

May have been renamed to Adventurous Spoon.

Yes, it was a little warm on the way home.

GTR-AUS 20
FarRider #179
IBA #37681
  •  

coldcomfort

2023 is almost done with. Has anyone ever done the ride to Omeo? I have. Many times. The trip is definitely motorcycle nirvana. Really good pub with decent beers on tap. Very good accommodation in same pub. Very good motel. Did I mention the roads. If anyone is interested a gathering could be arranged? Not until November though. There is a little bit of ice on the roads up there at the moment.

Pub is the Golden Age Hotel. Very bike friendly. Across the road is the snug as a bug motel. Very bike friendly.     
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: ACTCapo

Biggles

Yep, been there.  Stayed in a B&B.  The road north is a continuous chain of bends for over 100km to the Murray Valley highway.
FR#509 IBA #54927 iRoad #509
Hondas: Old C90, 2000 ST1100, 2004 ST1300, 2009 ST1300, 2012 GL1800, 2008 ST1300, 2005 ST1300
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: coldcomfort

coldcomfort

•