On a tight time budget?

Started by Grey Gentry, Sep 12, 2022, 06:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Gentry

If you are on a tight time budget, when refuelling at servo's don't make eye contact.  There seems to be someone who always want's to have a chat, about your ride, the weather, or where they are headed. While this technique is rarely needed on 1000km/24hr rides, it is critical on long rides.

Those who want the test, want to see over the horizon...achieve the goal or fail are in the end the only players who have credibility. - C. Snooks

GTR-AUS 20
FarRider #179
IBA #37681
  •  

reader57

And pull in, when you can, with the bowser on the same side that you dismount.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Grey Gentry

Rusjel

Can you you flesh that one out for me Peter?

So that the 'tilt' of the bike is more accessible to the nozzle?

That's a factor with the Goldwing as getting that last .75l in is a bit of a trial.

On the Kato I fill it on the centrestand.

Definitely going to your your idea a go Ron, I find the 'have a chats' frustrating.
IBA #33180, Farrider #61, alert grade 3 and bar
  •  

reader57

It saves walking around the bike to the bowser.  It was one of Davo's hints back in the day including resetting your trip and fuel meters on the way in.
  •  

Dicky Knee

Quote from: Rusjel on Sep 12, 2022, 07:10 AMCan you you flesh that one out for me Peter?

So that the 'tilt' of the bike is more accessible to the nozzle?

That's a factor with the Goldwing as getting that last .75l in is a bit of a trial.

On the Kato I fill it on the centrestand.

Definitely going to your your idea a go Ron, I find the 'have a chats' frustrating.
A tip from the FJR group is to 'punch' a couple more breather holes into the neck of the tank opening.
It provides a greater ratio of fuel in = air out and (with the FJR) means you don't have to trickle feed/burp the final 3 - 5 litres of the tank.
Remind me to show you at one of our fuel stops next Friday ;)
"Steve"
2007 FJR
IBA #82587
FarRoader
FarRider #161 (West #8, #9, #11, #50, #51)
Mindarie, WA
  •  

Grey Gentry

Quote from: Dicky Knee on Sep 12, 2022, 09:18 AMA tip from the FJR group is to 'punch' a couple more breather holes into the neck of the tank opening.
It provides a greater ratio of fuel in = air out and (with the FJR) means you don't have to trickle feed/burp the final 3 - 5 litres of the tank.
Remind me to show you at one of our fuel stops next Friday ;)

Yes, use a punch to make the holes, as a drill will leave its tailings in the tank.
Those who want the test, want to see over the horizon...achieve the goal or fail are in the end the only players who have credibility. - C. Snooks

GTR-AUS 20
FarRider #179
IBA #37681
  •  

OX-34

FarRider #92
IBA #486

Newcastle, NSW
  •  

Tabledrain

Quote from: reader57 on Sep 12, 2022, 07:28 AMIt saves walking around the bike to the bowser.  It was one of Davo's hints back in the day including resetting your trip and fuel meters on the way in.

Amazing..I actually do it the other way around.  Bowser on my right. Dismount.  Walk around the back opening caps as I go.. Fuel both tanks or in the case of tenere all 3 from the right side closing caps as I go. Snap z reciept photo showing last trio distance. Zero trip. Depart
Tabledrain
IBA # 477
FarRider # 247
  •  

Tabledrain

When it comes overall trip time I find there are things that need be done for a variety of reasons that quite often I do slower than others.  Slower is objective, we are talking seconds overall per action and while taken over days can turn into minutes I find the benefit of those seconds used is more beneficial than the time saved, even if I'm on an Iron Butt  Rally.

So for perspective.  After 600km I find that even with an exercise regime in use, I need to walk to relieve lower leg discomfort.
After 1400km on the super 10 this walk is critical, the extra minute/s isn't a waste of time especially if I exercise and walk on the spot while fuelljng.

There's additional preparation no matter what my fuel range that matters.  Socks are not tight at the ankle, ld comfort seams aligned down the sides of my legs, all seems like pedantic stuff but in my experience is worth it for comfort on extended rides.
Tabledrain
IBA # 477
FarRider # 247
  •  

Grey Gentry

Quote from: Tabledrain on Sep 12, 2022, 09:10 PMAmazing..I actually do it the other way around.  Bowser on my right. Dismount.  Walk around the back opening caps as I go.. Fuel both tanks or in the case of tenere all 3 from the right side closing caps as I go. Snap z reciept photo showing last trio distance. Zero trip. Depart

I can see why, to put your fuel fillers closer to the bowser. That's logical.

GTR-AUS 20
FarRider #179
IBA #37681
  •  

HACKLE

I simply removed the filler cap and internal funnel neck on my Trophy, then cut off the funnel neck [removed any small plastic burs with a fine file] then replaced filler neck and fuel cap. Now all have to be careful of is not to put the larger diesel nozzle into the tank.  :-\
FarRiders #379
 IBA #58060
  I'm too young, to be this old.
  •