News:

That long distance road will always beckon, enticing, always call, inviting, always be there,waiting.

Main Menu

Tassie info. Heading there Feb 2024

Started by coldcomfort, Jul 27, 2023, 03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coldcomfort

Hi all,

a mate and myself are hatching a ride plan for a ten day (maybe more) Tassie tour. If anyone can tell us some "must do" roads and places it would be very much appreciated. We will defiantly NOT be using any dirt roads. Also info on any local breweries could be useful.  :)

Cheers all.
  •  

coldcomfort

Quote from: coldcomfort on Jul 27, 2023, 03:58 AMHi all,

a mate and myself are hatching a ride plan for a ten day (maybe more) Tassie tour. If anyone can tell us some "must do" roads and places it would be very much appreciated. We will defiantly NOT be using any dirt roads. Also info on any local breweries could be useful.  :)

Cheers all.

I'm a idiot. We're heading there Feb 2024. Doh!
  •  

Walshy

Hi CC. I've only been to Tassie once, and we travelled by tin top, so I'm no authority. But the trip from Zeehan to Strahan to Queenstown then Derwent Bridge sticks in my memory. I recall while we were driving it that I'd have to come back with the bike. Haven't made it yet but it's still on my list.
https://goo.gl/maps/rovoPLhxW6fUmn8J7
The artist formerly known as FR #772
IBA #60302
2012 1400GTR
2018 Z900RS
  •  

GusZX14R

Last time two times I went (2017 most recent ), they handed you a small road map pamphlet for MC's listing the best MC roads. That said there is lots of must do's. Having a base to start daily rides helps if you are going just for rides and not much sightseeing. Lake Leake RD, Huonville to Southport, New Norfolk to Stathgorden dam, Queenstown to Straughn, Heller Gorge are a few. Being from Tassie   iv'e done a these a few times lol.

FR # 159, GTR-AUS #303
  •  

cougar

The wife & I did 2 weeks there in Jan/Feb 22

Off the boat we headed left and worked our way down the east coast then over to Queenstown and up the west side of the island

Good riding pretty much everwhere

*fixed the thread title for ya as well
Pete

IBA #66121
FarRiders #735
Far Road #2735

Triumph Rocket III
Kawasaki Z1000
  •  

OX-34

CC, here's a few more, all done in one morning

Weldborough Pass
St Marys Pass
Elephant Pass
FarRider #92
IBA #486

Newcastle, NSW
  •  

GusZX14R

Quote from: OX-34 on Jul 30, 2023, 07:36 AMCC, here's a few more, all done in one morning

Weldborough Pass
St Marys Pass
Elephant Pass
Ha ha, so did I on a Tassie FarRide in the pouring rain.
FR # 159, GTR-AUS #303
  •  

Dicky Knee

Quote from: OX-34 on Jul 30, 2023, 07:36 AMCC, here's a few more, all done in one morning

Weldborough Pass
St Marys Pass
Elephant Pass
and - The Sidling
"Steve"
2007 FJR
IBA #82587
FarRoader
FarRider #161 (West #8, #9, #11, #50, #51)
Mindarie, WA
  •  

ACTCapo

FR #790
IBA #64095
2014 Aprilia Caponord 1200
  •  

coldcomfort

Thanks all. I will use your helpful hints. I have also bought the Tassie version of these guys books.

https://www.throwyourlegover.com.au/

Only got it yesterday and haven't had much of a chance to digest much but so far it looks pretty good.
  •  

Carsten

Hi.  Just got back from O/S and read your post.  If you're interested, I could plan an IRode in Tassie for the time you're here.  Depending on how things unfold I could meet up and take you for a decent day's ride.  I live south.
FarRide#194
IBA#42038
  •  

Poddy

No sure if you have finalised this ride as yet however, a group of us are leaving on the 3rd of Feb and joining Wally Campbell (ex racer) for Wallys World which is the best rides and attracts on the Island and many of them private collections due to Wallys near famous status on the Island (he is Wayne Garners ex team mate)

He arranges everything from accommodation to fuel and the roads he knows are amazing

Check it out on FB Tasmanian Motorbike tours
  •  

Carsten

If you're interested in a FarRoad ride down here on the 9th of Feb, let me know here and I will organise it for somewhere up north.  I haven't set dates for 2024 yet.
FarRide#194
IBA#42038
  •  

Fattymick

Scottsdale has Little Rivers Brewing, also Darby Norris Distillery. They are open most days of the week for taste testing and LRB opens up to all the locals on Friday night for drinks and happy hour.
Fattymick
FarRider #109
IBA# 62004
  •