News:

That long distance road will always beckon, enticing, always call, inviting, always be there,waiting.

Main Menu

Super Tenere Auxilliary Tank

Started by Giggles, Sep 08, 2022, 10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giggles

All,

Can anyone point me in the direction of getting a metal tank done (and installed) for the Bumblebee ?  I'll have a go at most things but I'm not for messing with things can go kaboom if I get it wrong.

Thanks

Giggles
Veni, Vidi, Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around.

FR #1085 [currently floating in purgatory]
  •  

Biggles

Years ago Gatey was making them for Honda ST1300s, and possibly others.
FR#509 IBA #54927 iRoad #509
Hondas: Old C90, 2000 ST1100, 2004 ST1300, 2009 ST1300, 2012 GL1800, 2008 ST1300, 2005 ST1300
  •  

OX-34

Giggles,

Jeff the Chef and Tabledrain are running aux tanks and I think Jeff had a local company make a batch run.

Jeff's tank sure works:
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I used an off the shelf JAZ poly tank on my first Super Tenere:

But I do prefer the flatbed one I now use:

My alloy tank was made locally in Newcastle 10 years ago to my design and is a very simple box with transverse and longitudinal baffles inside. Along each side run 'C' channel similar to metal roofing sections for bolting it to my frame so the tank is not stressed.

Some bike aux set-ups allow for accessing the main tank via the bike's OEM rubber vent line. Less chance of going boom during fabrication I suppose...I used that technique that for my Yamaha TMax scooter and BMW F800GT as the aux sat completely above the main tank. I had just one episode of vapour lock on a very hot run to Perth on the Beemer.

The 3xFJRs, 3xS10s and 2xBlackbirds I drilled the main with a 'unibit'. It sounds hard/risky and is not.

My preferred site on the S10:

FarRider #92
IBA #486

Newcastle, NSW
  •  

Tabledrain

I'm using a cell supplied by Jeff am very happy with it.
I created a mount system for it and plumbed in the main tank as per Ox's photo.

Tabledrain
IBA # 477
FarRider # 247
  •  

jeffthechef

I had five tanks built. Skiddo got one, tabledrain has 1, Wendy crocket has 1  and I have one on the tenere now with the last one going to the States with me next year for my rally bike.
If you need help or photos with how they were designed please let me know.
If by any chance the tenere I purchase in the states within the next month already has a fuel cell I will let you know.
IBA #616 - FarRider #818 -
  •  

Rusjel

Quote from: Ed. on Sep 08, 2022, 11:32 AMThommo is a dab hand, also.
Very easy to plumb in, eh Russ?

I'll let you know when he releases the v2.

Seriously folks Thommo does beaut work.
IBA #33180, Farrider #61, alert grade 3 and bar
  •  

Gateman

I also built for Super Tenere, TDM Yamaha, FJR Police Yamaha, XT660R and HP2 BMW

Thanks for the mention Biggles
  •  

Skidoo

Quote from: Giggles on Sep 08, 2022, 10:54 AMAll,

Can anyone point me in the direction of getting a metal tank done (and installed) for the Bumblebee ?  I'll have a go at most things but I'm not for messing with things can go kaboom if I get it wrong.

Thanks

Giggles

The first hole you punch in a tank is the hardest, after that it's a piece of cake.

Plan and think twice but it's easy. While your at it, change the S10's filter.

Attached a few pics of a couple of my S10's and how filthy the filters become with normal use.

You cannot view this attachment.
  •  

Gateman

One of the really cool things about the LD game is building your bike Giggles into a distance chariot.
Its very rewarding to put your designs and ideas into a solid package.
Fuel tanks are perhaps the biggest leap of faith any of us do and its such a great addition to the mix.
Have fun with it.
Cheers
  •  

Gateman

So Ive been reading the thread in IBA about a 50cc in August to commemorate 20 years of IBA in Australia.
And that got me thinking about a larger tank to replace my current built unit.
Now I spend all day every day on 3DSolidworks I'm tempted to redesign what I have and win some volume via 20mm here and a tweak there maybe 100mm longer 20mm t to b. Should pic up may be extra 6 ltr.
Anyway its got me looking at fun stuff so thats a good thing.
  •  

Tabledrain

72 litres is the current limit to beat ;D  ;D
Tabledrain
IBA # 477
FarRider # 247
  •  

Gateman

I think your safe TD.
  •