News:

That long distance road will always beckon, enticing, always call, inviting, always be there,waiting.

Main Menu

Streaky Bay iRode

Started by Taffey, Jan 26, 2023, 01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Taffey

IRode to Streaky Bay - the meet point is will be Alfred Terrace at a park across the road from the Streaky Bay Hotel.

S32° 47.744' E134° 12.649'

Usual rules apply... Registrations should be done here. https://rides.jasonjonas.com/index.php

Come and ride and join me for a light refreshment at the pub after check-in, which will open at noon.

Accommodation available at the hotel and at the nearby Caravan Park for those overnighting.

See you there!
Taffey
Farrider 827 and IBA 70503
  •  

Large

I have just registered for the Streaky Bay Far Road ride. All good with the registration process. Looking for the details on the ride, the link comes up with a FR page ërror 404 page does not exist.
Alan
FarRoader #90
FarRider #90
IBA #38024
2011 Kawasaki 1400GTR
Adelaide SA
  •  

Taffey

Not sure why that is. So the link should have brought you to this page above. That is the details. Choose the ride you want to do and I will publish it when I get home.

Cheers
David/Taff
Taffey
  •  

Taffey

Hello fellow F'roaders

Adelaide to Streaky Bay is a road trip that many adventurous souls dream about. A thousand kilometres of open road, picturesque landscapes, and the thrill of pushing personal limits. Meet two riders, Large and Taffey, who embarked on this incredible journey, each with their unique approach to the adventure.

Large, a passionate rider, kick-started his ride from Adelaide at 12:35 pm on a Friday, setting his sights on the first milestone, Tumby Bay, which was approximately 620 kilometres away. His goal? To reach Streaky Bay by high noon the following day, covering a total of 1000 kilometres. It was a challenging feat, but Large was determined to conquer it.

Taffey, well yours truly really, on the other hand, decided to take a slightly different approach. After overnighting with family in Port Germain on Friday, I began my journey at a crisp 7:09 am on Saturday morning.

As we made our ways towards Streaky Bay, we encountered the stunning landscapes of South Australia, each at our own pace. Large, with a head start, had time to savour the scenery and take in the sights. Me on the other hand, with a later start, was in a bit of a rush, determined to catch up.

After reaching our destination well before check-in time, both of us decided to treat ourselves to a Bay Burger at the Streaky Bay Hotel, a well-deserved reward for our accomplishments. Just on 1pm we refuelled and hit the road, making stops at Wudinna, Kimba and Port Augusta for water and fuel, finally arriving at Davo's memorial, on the way towards Horrocks Pass.

Here, an unexpected connection emerged. Large revealed that his passion for long-distance riding began with his association with David (Davo) Jones in the late 2000s. He fondly remembered Davo, a man who had a gift for making everyone feel like a long-lost friend. It was a poignant moment, and we both shared our gratitude for the legacy that Davo had left behind.

After bidding farewell at the memorial, we initially continued our journey together, relishing the ride up Horrocks Pass, a highlight of the trip for us both. At Wilmington, Large disappeared into the distance, as I grappled with some GPS issues.  However, I caught up with him south of Melrose after taking a cross-country dirt road shortcut while Large did the big hook turn through that town. At the memorial we devised separate plans for the last leg. I would be heading home via Clare, while Large, presuming he stuck to his plan would head back towards Highway 1 from Laura via Crystal Brook. After some unexpected traffic, I lost view of Large just south of Wirrabara. Although I think I did spot his silhouette heading off into the distance from the Crystal Brook turnoff in Laura.

Finally, after an unperturbed day in the saddle, I returned to Lobethal just after 9pm, to be greeted by a well-deserved beer and a delicious bespoke pulled pork sandwich prepared by Jeff the Chef's crew at the Lobethal Beirhaus, even after they had closed the kitchen as a reward for my adventure and safe return. I had completed 1188 kilometres in just over 14 hours.

Our journeys from Adelaide to Streaky Bay was more than just a day out on our bikes; it was an experience of camaraderie, scenic beauty, and a deep appreciation for the legacy of Davo. A great metaphor of taking different approaches to complete one journey while reflecting on the diverse ways people can tackle challenges and savour life's adventures on the open road.

Cheers Taff

https://imgur.com/a/hRf5PnW
Taffey
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Walshy, Large

Large

Thanks Taffey, great read, great ride.

1131 kms for the official bit and 1881 for the 35 hour period.  I got home last night around 22:00, ended up going all the way to Clare and cutting across to Port Wakefield via Balaklava so missing all the road works that are currently on Highway 1 north of PW.

Thanks for organising, great to catch up with you, now off to clean of all the bugs from everything.
Alan
FarRoader #90
FarRider #90
IBA #38024
2011 Kawasaki 1400GTR
Adelaide SA
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Walshy

Walshy

Well done gentlemen. I miss reading about other people's rides nearly as much as I miss riding them. Thanks for keeping it alive.
The artist formerly known as FR #772
IBA #60302
2012 1400GTR
2018 Z900RS
  •  

Mark P

Great to read about the ride. I do miss that Eyre Peninsula countryside.

Bravo!
Pho Roading in SE Asia

FR#734
  •  

Taffey

Thanks for the positive reviews.

Cheers
Taff
Taffey
  •