Go get a RooTED

Started by Fatman, Sep 09, 2022, 10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fatman

I get asked many times if I still run my RooTED beeper on the bike, Yes.  The same original Hella branded reverse beeper (84DB I think from memory) is still beeping strong. 
Since 2017 when I fitted the RooTED, I honestly can't remember the last time with the RooTED switched on at night that I have had to brake hard to avoid a Roo.  And LTP and I have done many thousands of kms of night riding amongst thousands of Roos including lots and lots of known Roo areas.  Previously I use to think I saw all the Roos and tooted the horn when necessary, but it is amazing how many you can't see while riding eg. in tabledrains, behind high grass or trees etc that are only half a bounce away from hitting you.
For mine to work effectivly, I sit on 80-90kmh at night, at that speed you can see the Roos ears flick around to the noise and move away from the bike.  And I feel more reassured that I may be able to brake from 80-90kmh if I come across a deaf Roo who might jump our way anyway. 

This is a copy of my original report (with an edit here and there)I put on both FarRider and IBA forums back in 2017.

Roo Technical Electronic Device or RooTED (for want of a better name)

Philmor mentioned in his recent post that he might be tempted to try this device when his bike is repaired after hitting a Roo at the weekend down at Wilsons Prom. This is what he was referring to.

When wildlife is around while riding I use to sound the horn a lot and it does seem to influence some roos to rethink which way to jump, and usually they will go away from the bike.

About 2 years ago I had a thought if a reverse beeper (the beep beep type) would have any influence on wildlife. So I mounted a reverse beeper to a bolt onto the front of the engine but it faced the left side (more sound to the left than right and behind fairings which seemed to muffled the noise output). I was never happy with where I had mounted it but gave it a go over a few rides. Both Lynne the Pillion and I did notice that Roos on the left did appear to hear it and move away, less so on the right although I remember 1 just stand there and shake his head, as if his ears were aching. I ended up removing the reverse beeper and went back to tooting the horn.

Now, some of you may remember back when I got mild Hypothermia whilst riding into Roma last winter. The next night we spent at Cunnamulla and we got talking to a local Farmer about riding in roo invested areas like Cunnamulla. I jokingly said I think a Rifle mounted on the front of the bike would do the trick and the bang would make them bounce away. He doubted the noise of the rifle would, as he said he has tried many different caliber rifles over the years but the roos tend to get use to the noise and just stand there. He then began to tell us that he hasn't hit a Roo with his ute in 20 years out that way. My ears pricked up when he mentioned he put 2 reverse beepers on the front of his ute, he was surprised I didn't laugh at him, in fact he said I am the first person he has told this story to who hasn't laughed in his face. I told him of my earlier experience with a reverse beeper but that I had taken it off. He said his theory is that you need to emit a sound that roos don't hear all the time.

So fast forward to the Davo Memorial Trail we rode late last year. I mounted the reverse beeper again, this time facing straight down the road next to my left top driving light, with a rocker switch operated by my left thumb.

I mounted the RooTED Hella reverse beeper near my left top driving light facing forward, next to the screen.
You cannot view this attachment.

The rocker switch mounted here. I used a switch I already had, the plastic is to try and keep water out of it. (I have since change the switch to a water proof rocker switch bought from Jaycar.)

Since then this is what we have found when I have the beeper turned on. Note I still back off or brake if necessary when wildlife is around.

Roos that have been close to the edge of the road have all bounced away for the bike.

Emus have all turned away from our path also. We have seen a probably a few hundred Emus do this, but they did have chicks in tow, not sure if that makes a difference? (Edited 2022, I wouldn't trust the RooTED with Emus, they just seem plain dumb!)

Flocks of Birds that come at us from the edge of the road especially in the morning or later in the day do some funky flying to get away from the bike. Both of us have been impressed with the bird reaction.

Last Saturday on the way to the GFR at Marlo with Hackle close behind and our RooTED switched on there was a Deer very close to the road, he only moved away when I had braked to about 20kmh, not sure if he would have anyway?

Would I trust the RooTED system and not brake if I saw an animal that I felt could come in our path. No.

Do I think it will stop a Roo that is coming from the side at full speed. No

Cost is very low, simple to mount and wire up and if it stops 1 contact, well could be worth a try.

With the RooTED switched on, I find that I can concentrate more of what's going on around me than when I have to make the effort to press the horn button.

I leave the RooTED switched on for long periods now at sunrise, sunset and at night, and I don't hear it over the music I always have playing. I turn it off in towns.

So if you want to get RooTED, get yourself a loud reverse beeper and a water proof switch from your local Automotive store, wire it up (only a positive and a negative required, I suggest you run an inline fuse on the live wire ( you could run it through a relay if you want) and try it for yourself and let us know your findings
Fatman
Some call me "Michael"
FarRider #272
Iron Butt #54972
"Do it while you can, because you can't do it when you can't"

BMW R1200 RT

From Huntly Vic.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Marls

Tabledrain

I trialed one mate and still use one on the tenere.

I've bounced off a few wallabies with it switched off but not with it on.

I seem to have closer calls with cattle congregating around grids in the dark these days. Go figure.
Tabledrain
IBA # 477
FarRider # 247
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Marls