News:

That long distance road will always beckon, enticing, always call, inviting, always be there,waiting.

Main Menu

Blinman Far ride

Started by Taffey, Apr 29, 2024, 05:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

• Blinman in August
    ()
    Blinman Hotel

Taffey

Finishers get this...

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
Taffey
Farrider 827 and IBA 70503
  •  

Taffey

Blinman Ride Report

The official finishers list...

The Ride Report

After a false start scheduled for the end of July, which cost me a couple of registrants, I settled rather controversially, for the weekend after the Border Run, which no doubt kept some of the numbers down. Not to matter, hopefully there will be a Blinpeat in 2025 as the Finders Ranges has so much to offer any type of rider, whether they are looking for adventure or just a place to chill for a while.

So we had one group of riders out of Moonee Ponds, Mark heading out of Adelaide and yours truly heading out from the little town of Lobethal in the Mt Lofty Ranges.  All riders were heading to finish their nominated ride in Blinman and had elected to stay on after the ride (although Mark ended up deciding to head back early to Adelaide allowing Jason a chance at a bed, rather than a tent).

After a very wet July, the weather really put it on for the riders with a brilliant Friday with hardly any wind to speak of. First time Farroaders, David Grice, Greg and Jason departed Moonee Ponds right on the required time and meandered their way up Central Victoria before pitching west through Ouyen, skirting below Mildura to overnight at Renmark. Mark ventured up the midnorth to park overnight in Orrorroo on his new Himalayan and I departed Lobethal, passing through Crafers at the head of the South Eastern Freeway to make my way to Port Germein, just north of Port Pirie by looping out east via Tailem Bend and Renmark, before turning west to take on the setting sun via Morgan, Auburn and Red Hill to Port Germein, knocking out 694kms in the first leg.

All groups were fortunate not to encounter any of Australia's twilight to nocturnal critters but did have to content with rather cold conditions that carried over into Saturday morning.

David Grice's group had to content with a freezing 5:30am Riverland Departure, along with some shenanigans in Morgan where Greg became momentarily discombobulated after losing contact with his comrades to stop and secure a fuel bladder. This was their only misadventure and they made good time northwards towards the finish.  Mark and I had relatively peaceful lie ins, with me beating Mark to the starting line with a 7:30 am departure, stopping in Port Augusta for fuel before returning back to Horrocks Pass to head inland and then north to the prize.

I had been keeping an eye on the Moonee Pond Crowd's progress on Spotwalla and it soon became apparent that I could well encounter the group as we both closed in on the northern town of Hawker from different directions. Indeed, as I approached the junction between the Quorn/Hawker and Cradock/Hawker roads, there about 500m ahead popped out one, then two and finally three motorbikes. A few clicks later we all met up at Hawker for introductions and shortly afterwards, Mark motored by on his Himalayan heading into Hawker proper, taking a temporary lead.

Wanting to get to the finish ahead of time in order to set up for registration, I said my goodbyes and headed off north into the Flinders proper. As a consequence of the previous months rain, the Flinders were greener than I ever recall them being. Entering the park and taking on that beautiful twisty road, I soon found myself in a gentle rolling rhythm as I traversed the National Park.  This is my fourth visit to this region in 4 years and it never disappoints.  I was soon closing in on the finish line and on the stroke of 11, I rode up to the North Blinman Hotel finish line.

Around 11:20 our the Moonee Ponds crew lined up along side and with 20 minutes to spare, Mark arrived at the finish line and all participants were able to checkin within the required time window.

A long lunch followed and tall stories and some short were shared over excellent pub fare and a cool beverage or two. As alluded, Mark returned to Orroroo and David, Greg, Jason and I found our accommodation for the night before David, Greg and I elected to do a Mine Tour while Jason, who will be heading off to Cameron Corner on his 1290 beast in a few weeks time, took the opportunity to have three hour practice out along the Glass Gorge Track.

The next morning, before I headed back, I joined the Moonee Ponds crew for a loop ride around Public Access Routes 4 and 5 that take you in a northern loop above Blinman for about 30kms back to Parachilna Gorge Road. I have been practicing dirt road riding but not to this level, but I was pleasantly surprised that I could basically keep up with the boys (although looking at the GoPro footage I took, I think they were pacing themselves at my speed - thanks lads) and make it through with relative ease. Not that it was hard, but there were a couple of places that in the past would have presented a not tonight Josephine moment for me.  Certainly, the PAR5 out to Patawarta Gap would make an excellent Adventure variant of a Farroad finish point. Let me know if there is any interest there...

Heading out to the Outback Highway, the boys wanted to head into Brachina Gorge and complete the iconic Razorback Track, but I needed to head home. So we said our goodbyes and headed in different directions.

I do hope to ride with those fellows again, I do hope to be heading back to the Flinders again in September and I do want to make this an annual thing.  The Flinders are that special.

Until next ride, stay safe and I hope to see you out there.
Taffey
Farrider 827 and IBA 70503
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Langers

Walshy

Glad it all went well. Congrats to the first timers and well done all. Great to see some riders out and about.
The artist formerly known as FR #772
IBA #60302
2012 1400GTR
2018 Z900RS
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Taffey

ZigZag

I'm very pleased it was a success. Well done to the new riders.  It's a great riding destination and would make a fantastic annual ride.
I'm aiming to make it to the next ride.
ZigZag

FR 830
Rides a black Yamaha now.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Taffey

ZigZag

Thanks for making it happen Taffey.
ZigZag

FR 830
Rides a black Yamaha now.
  •