News:

Together, spawned from the ashes of our past, we will forge anew, the way forward.

Main Menu

Memories of RTM06

Started by Clint, Feb 11, 2023, 02:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clint

I dug out my old SLR today and these videos were still on the CD card from 2015.
This is from the halcyon days of FarRiders before Ride To Meet rallies were stopped by Paul due to his insurance concerns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l0szCoJmUs shows the participants sweating over hot computers deciding on routes and wondering how many points they can get during the 24 hours available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BCmbJ4Ru6A shows the riders departing with me doing my impersonation of Dale "Warchild" Wilson sending off IBR participants.

Those were the days.
FarRider #5
IBA #56442
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Viking

OX-34

Great to see you've captured those memories Clint
FarRider #92
IBA #486

Newcastle, NSW
  •  

Walshy

Yeah, Crappy's ZRX was a legendary bike.
The artist formerly known as FR #772
IBA #60302
2012 1400GTR
2018 Z900RS
  •  

Kimmie

OMG, I remember that day. It was as hot as, my plan wasn't exactly complete or the best and I got a flat picking up a point.

Got to Hillfield or Highfield somewhere near Toowooomba, called Karl and Diesel with Streak coming to the rescue of a bed for the night and a hot very late dinner...I was done.

Was glad to get back to base even though I didn't qualify.

Great memories and experience.

Thanks for sharing those hidden/kept gems

xx
FR#441   IBA#45872
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Viking

Biggles

Wow!  Many thanks for finding that and posting it.  I was among the least favoured starters that day, and came in the most unlikely winner!  I had the home ground advantage and wasted none of it.  I too, had a puncture (with a slow leak) and actually rode the bike home to fix it!  What a day!
I'm almost inspired to create a Rally.  I definitely have enough Bonus Locations, because Ghostie asked us to compile and submit them.  I have well over 200 with all their data, mostly in Queensland, of course.  Feel like building another one, Clint?  Eight years down the track I pose even less of a threat to the big dogs, but would enjoy having a go.
FR#509 IBA #54927 iRoad #509
Hondas: Old C90, 2000 ST1100, 2004 ST1300, 2009 ST1300, 2012 GL1800, 2008 ST1300, 2005 ST1300
  •  

Clint

Quote from: Biggles on Feb 11, 2023, 12:22 PM.....Ghostie asked us to compile and submit them......
That's not how my memory serves.  I was the one encouraging people to submit bonus locations as I had written the program for them to be collected and converted into a rally book.  Mr Vaupel was against our rallies and after several arguments insisted that I cease planning any more.
But then, my memory is fallible.

And sorry but no, I won't be building any in the future, my life is no longer oriented to LD riding.  But I do enjoy the memories.

Cheers
FarRider #5
IBA #56442
  •  

Biggles

Quote from: Clint on Feb 12, 2023, 05:16 AMThat's not how my memory serves.  I was the one encouraging people to submit bonus locations as I had written the program for them to be collected and converted into a rally book.  Mr Vaupel was against our rallies and after several arguments insisted that I cease planning any more.
But then, my memory is fallible.

And sorry but no, I won't be building any in the future, my life is no longer oriented to LD riding.  But I do enjoy the memories.

Cheers

I wrote only as an outsider looking in, and your memory is perfect.  I do recall your name being associated with the collecting of the bonuses, having communicated with you on the subject.  I also recall ghostie proposing a Rally at one point (obviously before he went against them) and pulling the pin because of a lack of interested respondents.
I recall I submitted 200 to the developing database, and have well over 300 now.
Another memory I have of a Rally that I didn't participate in, but followed online.  It involved the usual collecting of bonuses, but this time they were allocated a dollar value.  Halfway through, ghostie declared all the bonuses were now negative in value, and the winner would be the rider closest to zero in money at the end.  M&M won, and showed themselves apparently naked, having "lost all".
FR#509 IBA #54927 iRoad #509
Hondas: Old C90, 2000 ST1100, 2004 ST1300, 2009 ST1300, 2012 GL1800, 2008 ST1300, 2005 ST1300
  •  

Gateman

The object of that ralley Biggles was titled Going For Broke.
From the get go it was intended to gain value and loose value back as far negative into the the red so to speak then finish as close to $0 dollars.

Most took off shooting location after location gathering up massive value completely overlooking the design brief.. Some from memory had into the thousands of dollars. Dollars became deducted by finding the balance between excesive distance/spending power and hitting the rest bonus, Kimmies Anzac Buscuits bonus at Dunedoo and just wakinf up to the fact lest was more.
TK and I finished third having achieved earning and loosing and earning our way back to -3 cents short of $0 second place got to $0 but not negative and those M&Ms Oh too much information but hell it was funny.
I remember throwing out a reuse to one team that if they got "The Swing Bridge" at Wellington all their points$ would be reverted to Zero. To my dismay they made all to turn back to find this bridge even thought they would still need to be in Gunnedah by 16:30 hrs I just got them stopped in time but gee they thought even then I was spinning a web.
It was great fun too.
Thanks Clint for posting these images.
  •  

Nev..

Quote from: Gateman on Jun 04, 2023, 07:11 AMThe object of that ralley Biggles was titled Going For Broke.
From the get go it was intended to gain value and loose value back as far negative into the the red so to speak then finish as close to $0 dollars.

Most of the FR Rallies I rode 1800ish km to get to the finish, but that rally had penalties for riding more than 1200km.  In typical PV style, the wording of the rally scoring was ambiguous and confusing. I went for the ride.  I would not be surprised if I finished last. 
As a side note, a couple of weeks ago I stayed another night in Gunnedah, on a slow ride to Brisbane.
IBA # 44764
FarRider #234
  •