Cleaning up a tank subjected to rotten fuel

Started by Gateman, Nov 12, 2022, 01:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gateman

Well thanks to the combined efforts of Covid, a house build and two very time consuming careers and just my stupid inability to program some " my time" ive now got a bike with rotten fuel.

The big go is Cidar Vineagar and the tank is now dismantled and upside down with 5lts of the gold .

So my question is how long do you leave it for and can I clean up the pump/Filter with said product?

Anyone whos done this task please join the discussion.

Cheers
  •  

Gateman

So Cyder Vinager is soo good to clean out a tank. Down side is it will take the liner off if left say 2 weeks. Im not fussed as the tank was a mess.
At first the cleaning proccess left my hands stinking for days but at about week three of soaking I noticed the smell and tackiness had gone.

Search your prices before you buy cydervinager. It comes from ag supply shops. 5L ranged in price from $51 to $23 so do your homework.

Second cleanup was with white spirit (shearers tooth water).
This I soaked the pump assembly in for three weeks so I could start to unclip it. The pump itself has been soaked since before Xmas and each night I shake more "varnish" out and very fine fibrus stuff.
Tonight is the first night its come up clean and the spirit is still clear. A good sign.

Soon Ill order a sealer kit in 25L as the tanks 23ltotal volume and stripped.

The TDM is getting lots of attention. Next big job is dealing with the stale fuel varnish in the FI.
Fun this is.
  •